Quote: "The only thing that pisses me off in the comments section of the poll is that some people think we should settle for Charlie/Connor because it's "age appropriate" and he is also a Monroe. Connor wishes he was as awesome as Bass and the relationships are nothing alike."
I completely agree. The age thing people use as a reason why they can't be together is one of my biggest pet peeves. Geez, one of the world's most beloved novels, Jane Eyre, revolves around a relationship with a 20 year age difference. So I did a little research.
David Lyons is 38. Tracy Spiridakos is a little less forthcoming with her age (totally her prerogative), but she is either about 24 or possibly 30. The most age difference between the two is 12 years. (I know the characters are farther apart, but still.)
Incidentally, Danielle Alonso (Nora) is 35, and Billy Burke is 47. That's 12 years. I never heard anyone complain.
Also, Stephen Collins (Gene) is 66. Reiko Aylesworth, who played Marion, who Gene was apparently with for a while, is 41. For those of us bad at math (like me), that's 25 years.
I looked at other TV shows and movies...
- Once Upon A Time: Robert Carlyle (Rumple) is 52. Emilie de Ravin (Belle) is 32.
- Modern Family: Ed O'Neill (Jay) is 68. Sofia Vergara (Gloria) is 41.
- The Following: James Purefoy (Joe) is 49. Valorie Curry (Emma) is 28.
- Dexter: Keith Carradine (Frank Lundy) is 64. Jennifer Carpenter (Deb) is 34.
- True Detective: Woody Harrelson (Marty) is 52. Michelle Monaghan is (Maggie) is 38.
- Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: Daniel Craig (Mikael) is 46. Rooney Mara (Lisbeth) is 28. (Same age difference in the Swedish version also).
- As Good As It Gets: Jack Nicholson (Melvin) is 76. Helen Hunt is (Carol) is 50. And they both won Oscars for these roles. I don't remember anyone thinking the age difference was gross.
- Frank Sinatra married Mia Farrow when he was 50 and she was 21.
- Joe Namath married Deborah Mays when he was 44 and she was 22.
- Gary Oldman married Uma Thurman when he was 32 and she was 20.
- Johnny Depp is engaged to Amber Heard. He's 50, she's 27.
- George Clooney dated Stacy Keibler. He's 52, she's 34.
- Angel is older than Buffy by about 224 years. Spike is older than Buffy by about 109 years.
- Bill Compton is about 148 years older than Sookie. And Eric is about 1,000 years older.
- I don't watch Vampire Diaries, but I'm gonna bet there's a significant age difference there as well.
And as far as him killing her family, and her sleeping with his son. If you think TV shows have not been getting around even more significant issues between couples for decades...then you haven't been watching enough TV.
Ok, (takes a breath) I'm done. Sorry for the rant, but I've been needing to get that off my chest for a while now.
Anyway, Monroe and Charlie were one of the best things on TV. And no one can tell me that their chemistry didn't help to make the show even better.
Thanks for letting me vent.